Oak Ridge Waste and Recycling in Danbury, CT is looking for a reliable Safety and Compliance Manager to ensure everyone in the company complies with health and safety laws. You will also be responsible for establishing policies that will create and maintain a safe workplace. As a safety manager you must have excellent attention to detail to identify hazards. You will also be able to discover opportunities for improving conditions and execute various safety programs. The ability to communicate guidelines to a multidisciplinary workforce is essential. The goal is to ensure the workplace meets all legal expectations and actively supports occupational health and safety.
This is a FULL TIME Monday thru Friday, early morning 1st shift position. Some Saturday availability needed, as necessary. Normally a 10-to-12-hour work day is required.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Salary range is $85,000 to $105,000 per year.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and execute health and safety plans in the workplace according to legal guidelines
- Prepare and enforce policies to establish a culture of health and safety
- Evaluate practices, procedures, and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law
- Conduct training and presentations for health and safety matters and accident prevention
- Monitor compliance to policies, permits and laws by inspecting employees and operations
- Inspect equipment and machinery to observe possible unsafe conditions
- Investigate accidents or incidents to discover causes and handle worker’s compensation claims
- Recommend solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures
- Report on health and safety awareness, issues, and statistics
- Maintain and renew all appropriate permits to ensure we are operating in compliance with all cities, state, and federal requirements
- Maintain DOT compliance, DEEP permits and all other associated compliance permits for all locations
Experience & Job Requirements
- Proven experience as safety manager – 4 years’ experience or equivalent degree
- Deep understanding of legal, health and safety guidelines
- Ability in producing reports and developing relevant policies
- Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
- Excellent organizational and motivational skills
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities
- BS/BA in safety management or relevant field is preferred
- Valid qualification in occupational health and safety
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Although you will be reporting to our home office in Danbury, CT, there WILL be travel as a part of the essential and necessary job duties. Travel is normally, but not limited to, our other facilities in Shelton, Newtown, Ridgefield, and Stamford, CT.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We offer excellent benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, and a 401(k) Plan, and a Bonus structure based upon Owner’s guidelines.
Oak Ridge Waste & Recycling is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.